Continuity of Service Agreement Program Guidelines

Program Guidelines

  • Active gas and/or electric meters for the properties included in your agreement will be automatically transferred into your name when a tenant discontinues service with SDG&E.
  • You will be responsible for the utility bills incurred until the date that a new tenant begins receiving service.
  • The Service Establishment Fee charged to program participants is $5.85 per meter when new accounts are opened in your name.
  • When a tenant’s service is disconnected for non-payment at the premises with an active agreement, the requested service is not automatically transferred into the continuity of service agreement participant’s name.
  • Energy bills for all properties included in your agreement will be sent to the mailing address you provided with your application.  We can accept only one mailing address per agreement.
  • New Continuity of Service Agreements must be requested by the Customer of Record (“Applicant”).
  • Your Social Security Number or Federal Tax ID is required to set up a Continuity of Service Agreement.
  • Adding a property to your agreement will not automatically activate a meter that is not in use. To activate meters at your property that are not in use, please contact SDG&E at 1‐800‐411‐7343.
  • You will be responsible for notifying us when you no longer own or manage a property listed in your agreement.
  • Requesting a shut‐off of service will not remove that property from your agreement, and you could be charged for future utility service.
  • To cancel your agreement, all properties must be removed from your agreement.
  • Online changes to your agreement will become effective upon submission of your request.
  • To maintain your agreement without using the online service you must:

Continuity of Service Agreement Program FAQs

  • Why do I need to enter a PIN when I can use my FTI/SSN to access my agreement?

    We recognize that many customers use a Property Manager to handle their rental properties.  By providing a PIN, you will have the means to provide guest access to anyone you want to share your PIN with.  As the customer, you may update your PIN by signing in with your SSN/FTI. This gives you the ability to control who has access to your agreement.

  • What if I have never had service with SDG&E and I want to start a new continuity of service agreement?

    If you are not currently an SDG&E customer, you can still create a Continuity of Service Agreement.

    • Individual customers will be required to provide a Social Security Number which may be used to run a Credit Check for identification purposes only.
    • New Business applicants will be required to contact our Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343 to complete an application for service before creating an agreement.
    • Your Social Security Number or Federal Tax ID is required to set up a Continuity of Service Agreement.
  • Who will be responsible for charges if a tenant stops services before their move out date?

    The person listed on the continuity of service agreement will be responsible for ensuring their tenants assume responsibility of the property according to the terms of their rental agreement.

  • Will I get confirmation each time a tenant starts or stops service at one of my properties?

    A confirmation will not be sent when your tenants start and stop services, however you can view your properties online and see whether your properties are currently billing to you or your tenant.

  • Can only one gas or electric service be selected to revert into the participant's name?

    Yes, participants have the option to select only one service (Gas or Electric) to remain active under the program. All properties listed on the contract will have the same service selected. Participants requesting different services for other units or properties within an agreement will need to set them up on separate agreements.

  • Can I request the gas and electric service turned off at any time?

    Yes, you may request to turn the services off at any time for properties on your agreement and billing to you.  Turning off services will not remove the property from your agreement.  Your property will revert back to your name after your next tenant moves out. If you no longer want services to revert to your name in the future, you will also need to remove the property from your agreement.

    To stop service:  Go online or call SDG&E at 1-800-411-7343.

    To remove properties from your agreement: Sign in to Manage your agreement online.

  • How do I add or remove a property?

    Participants requesting to add or remove a service address should go online to the Continuity of Service Agreement and select Add or Remove Properties.

    • You can add or remove up to 25 properties in a single transaction.
    • An agreement may have no more than 450 rental properties at any given time.  If you need to maintain more than 450 rental properties, you will need to create a new agreement.
    • If you remove all of your properties from your agreement, your agreement will be cancelled and you will not be able to make any further changes to that agreement. 
  • What is a Master Account number?

    The Master Account is another account belonging to you that you may elect to associate with your agreement. When provided, unpaid final bill balances for rental property accounts billed to the landlord will be transferred.  This allows you to control where funds are transferred while ensuring unpaid final bill balances do not become delinquent.