Sign up for our assistance programs
Apply and find out if you qualify for an energy bill discount and free home improvements.
Energy Bill Discount
Over 275,000 customers are receiving a monthly energy bill discount through the CARE program. Eligibility is based on household size and total household income. If you qualify you could also be eligible for free energy-efficient home improvements.
Free Energy-Efficient Home Improvements
Qualifying renters or home-owners may be able to receive free home improvements and energy-efficient appliances that make their home more comfortable and save them money now and for years to come. If you qualify you may also be eligible to receive a energy bill discount.
- Eligibility Requirements
Program Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility is based on your household size and yearly income or by your household participation in certain public assistance programs.
Here are the public assistance programs that qualify:
- Medicaid/Medi-Cal for Families A & B
- CalFresh (Food Stamps) SNAP
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF
Here are the income levels that qualify:
Qualification is based on household size and total current household income* (total income of all persons living in your house, condo, apartment or mobile home).
Number in Household
Total Annual Household Income CARE Program FERA Program
$40,841 - $51,050
$49,201 - $61,500
$57,561 - $71,950
$65,921 - $82,400
$74,281 - $92,850
$82,641 - $103,300
Each additional person +$8,360
Effective June 1, 2017 to May 31, 2018
- The SDG&E bill must be in your name and the address must be your primary residence.
- You must notify SDG&E if you no longer qualify.
- You must maintain acceptable usage levels.
- You may not be claimed on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse.
- Your total current household income (all income of all persons living in your home) — before deductions — is no more than the income level listed and you may be asked to verify your income.
- You must renew your application when requested.
* Total household income is all taxable and non-taxable revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments; public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, income from self-employment, and all employment-related non-cash income.