Save 30% or more on your energy bill
If you qualify, you'll be enrolled in one of the following programs:
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) - You'll receive a 30% or more discount on your bill every month.
- Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) - If you don't qualify for CARE, you may qualify to receive a 12% discount on your bill every month through FERA. FERA is only open to households with three or more people.
Apply today using one of the options below:
Applications are also available to the following customers:
California LifeLine Program:
If you’re receiving an energy bill discount through the CARE program, you may also qualify to receive a discount on your phone through the California LifeLine Program. To learn more call: 1-866-272-0349.
Get Money Back with the California Earned Income Tax Credit:
The Earned Income Tax Credit is modeled after a federal credit that helps give money back to working families. The amount of the cash-back tax credit depends on your income and your family size. To find out if you qualify visit CalEITC4me.
Authorized Outreach Contractor:
The Harris Group
Call Center: 619-825-9510
- Program eligibility requirements
Program Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility is based on your household size and yearly income or by your household participation in certain public assistance programs.
Here are the public assistance programs that qualify:
- Medicaid/Medi-Cal for Families A & B
- CalFresh (Food Stamps) SNAP
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF
Here are the income levels that qualify:
Qualification is based on household size and total current household income* (total income of all persons living in your house, condo, apartment or mobile home).
Number in Household
Total Annual Household Income CARE Program FERA Program
$40,841 - $51,050
$49,201 - $61,500
$57,561 - $71,950
$65,921 - $82,400
$74,281 - $92,850
$82,641 - $103,300
Each additional person +$8,360
Effective June 1, 2017 to May 31, 2018
- The SDG&E bill must be in your name and the address must be your primary residence.
- You must notify SDG&E if you no longer qualify.
- You must maintain acceptable usage levels.
- You may not be claimed on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse.
- Your total current household income (all income of all persons living in your home) — before deductions — is no more than the income level listed and you may be asked to verify your income.
- You must renew your application when requested.
* Total household income is all taxable and non-taxable revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments; public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, income from self-employment, and all employment-related non-cash income.
- Questions or other ways to apply?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-800-411-7343.
Other ways to apply
PHONE: Please call 211 and ask for the Energy Bill Discount Program.
TDD/TTY: For speech or hearing-impaired customers call us at 1-877-889-7343.
MAIL: If you prefer to mail us an application, one can be found here: CARE APPLICATION.
Our mailing address is:
San Diego Gas & Electric
P.O. Box 129831
San Diego, CA 92112-9985