Tree safety clearance activities
In order to provide safe and reliable electric service, and to comply with State mandated regulations, SDG&E regularly inspects facilities for encroaching vegetation.
The guidelines below describe the minimum clearances required between vegetation and electrical equipment. To maintain compliance with state law, SDG&E maintains clearances that exceed the minimum distance required.
Underground vault and transformer facilities:
- 8 feet from the door, 18 inches from the sides, and clear from ground to sky (see sample sticker below; box size and clearances may vary)
Utility pole climbing space:
- 3 feet clearance for two quadrants of the pole
Secondary voltage lines from pole to pole:
- 3 feet clearance from wires
Service drop from pole to house or pole to structure:
- No strain or abrasion of conductors
Guy wires that support poles whether pole to ground or pole to pole:
- No strain or abrasion of guy wires
Eucalyptus tree impacts guy wire
Climbing Space Infraction